QCinema 2021 comes stacked with titles to welcome moviegoers in their slow and safe return to movie theaters. Sections will showcase new Filipino visions, Asian shorts, and acclaimed exports fresh from the international festival circuits. It is, as festival director Ed Lejano calls it, “a gift.”
This year, QCinema is going to screen with a hybrid setup. Some titles will be available both online (via KTX.ph) and in theaters; others will exclusively screen at the Gateway Cineplex 10. The festival runs from November 26, 2021 to December 5, 2021.
As always, this guide will contain details on the competing short films, other films in-showcase, how to watch the films, screening schedules, and more — all in one page.
JUMP TO SECTION:
- Asian Shorts
- Screen International
- New Horizons
- Special Screenings
- Asian Voices
- NETPAC Reloaded
- Screening Schedules
- Ticketing Info
QCinema 2021: In-competition short films
Ampangabagat Nin Talakba Ha Likol
Maria Estela Paiso’s Ampangabagat Nin Talakba Ha Likol follows Maya who is forced to go home to Zambales and confront a house that terrorizes her as frogs rain outside.
City of Flowers
Xeph Suarez’s City of Flowers is set in 2013, when the City of Zamboanga is celebrating the Feast of the Nativity of Mary, just before the Zamboanga siege. It tells the story of a pregnant couple trying to survive a drought wreaking havoc on their flower farm and raising enough money for childbirth.
Directed by Kaj Palanca, Henry is about a teenager longing for another life when he visits a mansion’s construction site to seek compensation for his older brother’s work injury.
i get so sad sometimes
Trishtan Perez’s short, i get so mad sometimes, follows a gay teenager eagerly waiting for a mature man to finally reveal his face after developing an anonymous sexual relationship with him online.
MIGHTY ROBO V
Miko Lovelo and Mihk Vergara’s wacky mockumentary imagines what happens when a documentary crew covering the Philippine Giant Monster Defense Institute’s Mighty Robo V program learns that the wrong people were hired for the job.
Directed by Chuck Escasa, Skylab tells the story following two troubled boys, a satellite falling to the earth, and dark forces threatening the world.
QCinema 2021: Asian Shorts
- Dear To Me (dir. Monica Vanesa Tedja) 🇮🇩
- Filipiñana (dir. Rafael Manuel) 🇵🇭
- How To Die Young In Manila (dir. Petersen Vargas) 🇵🇭
- Live In Cloud Cuckoo-Land (dir. Vu Minh Nghia, Pham Hoang Minh Thy) 🇻🇳
- New Abnormal (dir. Sorayos Prapapan) 🇹🇭 | 🇰🇷 | 🇸🇬
- Sunrise in my Mind (dir. Danech San) 🇰🇭
QCinema 2021: Screen International
- Drive My Car (dir. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi) 🇯🇵
- Happening (dir. Audrey Diwan) 🇫🇷
- Memoria (dir. Apichatpong Weerasethakul) 🇨🇴 | 🇹🇭 | 🇫🇷
- Miracle (dir. Bogdan George Apetri) 🇷🇴 | 🇨🇿 | 🇱🇻
- My Salinger Year (dir. Philippe Falaradeau) 🇨🇦 | 🇮🇪
- The Box (dir. Lorenzo Vigas) 🇲🇽 | 🇺🇸
- The Great Movement (dir. Kiro Russo) 🇷🇴 | 🇨🇿 | 🇱🇻
- The Worst Person In The World (dir. Joachim Trier) 🇳🇴 | 🇫🇷 | 🇸🇪
- Vengeance Is Mine, All Others Pay Cash (dir. Edwin) 🇸🇬 | 🇩🇪 | 🇮🇩
- Wheel Of Fortune and Fantasy (dir. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi) 🇯🇵
QCinema 2021: RainbowQC
- Great Freedom (dir. Sebastian Meise) 🇦🇹 | 🇩🇪
- The Girl and the Spider (dir. Ramon Zürcher, Silvan Zürcher) 🇨🇭
QCinema 2021: New Horizons
- Apples (dir. Christos Nikou) 🇬🇷
- El Planeta (dir. Amalia Ulman) 🇺🇸
- Playground (dir. Laura Wendel) 🇧🇪
- Lamb (dir. Valdimar Jóhannsson) 🇮🇸 | 🇸🇪 | 🇵🇱
- Magnetic Beats (dir. Vincent Maël Cardona) 🇫🇷 | 🇩🇪
QCinema 2021: Special Screenings
- Historya ni Ha (dir. Lav Diaz) 🇵🇭
- Onoda (dir. Arthur Harari) 🇫🇷
- A Will to Dream (dir. Patrick Alcedo) 🇵🇭
- Am I Being Selfish? (dir. Patrick Alcedo) 🇵🇭
- They Call Me Dax (dir. Patrick Alcedo) 🇵🇭
QCinema 2021: Asian Voices
- Islands (dir. Martin Edralin) 🇨🇦
- Yuni (dir. Audrey Diwan) 🇮🇩
QCinema 2021: NETPAC Reloaded
- Baboy Halas (dir. Bagane Fiola) 🇵🇭
- Suburban Birds (dir. Sheng Qiu) 🇫🇷
QCinema 2021: Ticketing Info
As aforementioned, this year’s QCinema is taking a hybrid approach to screening. Meaning, some films will be available to watch both online (via KTX.ph) and onsite (at the Gateway Cineplex 10). We will update this section once QCinema announces how to access these films.
QCinema 2021: Screening Schedule
Below are the screening schedules for QCinema 2021. Use our own calendar below. Note that this is a work-in-progress for now, and we’ll update it over the weekend.