The Unreel guide to QCinema 2023
Happening on November 17 – 26, 2023, the Philippines’ premier independent film festivel returns to local screens.
FROM THE OUTSET, QCinema has been chasing one lofty goal into reality. Undeterred by its grand ambitions — the festival’s tagline is “one city to the world” — the fest has been gaining some renown as it decides to expand its programming beyond Filipino films. Now on its eleventh edition, the festival is the Philippines’ premier truly international film festival, curating for its in-competition categories a proper mix of voices from its native Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and so on.
This evolution in QCinema’s roster is brought in under their new competition banner, Asian Next Wave — a collection of eight exciting films from emerging Asian filmmaking visionaries. Jopy Arnaldo’s Gitling represents the Philippines alongside films like Tae-yang Kim’s Mimang, Patiparn Boontarig’s Solids by the Seashore, Amanda Nell Eu’s Tiger Stripes, and more.
Jump to Section:
Asian Next Wave
A showcase of some of the most exciting Asian films from this year, from emerging filmmakers at the onset of their career as storytellers.
Shorts competition by Filipino filmmakers — produced by QCinema — in their world premieres.
A Catholic Schoolgirl
dir. Myra Angeline Soriaso
Abutan Man Tayo ng House Lights
dir. Apa Agbayani
dir. Aedrian Araojo
dir. Lino Balmes
dir. Che Tagyamon
Section for competing short films from Southeast Asian filmmakers, a new staple added to QCinema’s programming.
Basri and Salma in a Never-ending Comedy
dir. Khozy Rizal | 🇮🇩
dir. Toan Thanh Doan, Hoang-Phuc Nguyen-Le | 🇻🇳
Cross My Heart and Hope to Die
dir. Sam Manacsa | 🇵🇭
dir. Bea Mariano | 🇵🇭
dir. Stephen Lopez | 🇵🇭
I Look into the Mirror and Repeat Myself
dir. Giselle Lin | 🇸🇬
Kung nga-a Conscious ang mga Alien sang ila Skincare
dir. Seth Andrew Blanca & Niño Maldecir | 🇵🇭
dir. Joon Fong Goh | 🇲🇾
dir. Moe Myat May Zarchi | 🇲🇲
When You Left Me on That Boulevard
dir. Kayla Galang | 🇵🇭
QCinema’s prestige collection of new titles in the global festival circuit. This year’s collection gathers Wim Wenders’ Perfect Days, Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s Evil Does Not Exist, and Andrew Haigh’s All Of Us Strangers (among others), alongside the festival’s opening film, Yorgos Lanthimos’ Poor Things.
- Afire (dir. Christian Petzold | 🇩🇪)
- All of Us Strangers (dir. Andrew Haigh | 🇺🇸 🇬🇧)
- Critical Zone (dir. Ali Ahmadzadeh | 🇮🇶 🇩🇪)
- Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World (dir. Radu Jude | 🇷🇴 🇱🇺 🇫🇷 🇭🇷)
- Evil Does Not Exist (dir. Ryusuke Hamaguchi | 🇯🇵)
- Fallen Leaves (dir. Aki Kaurismäki | 🇫🇮 🇩🇪)
- Perfect Days (dir. Wim Wenders | 🇯🇵 🇩🇪)
- Poor Things (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos | 🇮🇪 🇬🇧 🇺🇸)
- Sweet Dreams (dir. Ena Sendijarević | 🇳🇱 🇷🇪 🇧🇪 🇮🇩 🇸🇪)
- The Taste of Things (dir. Trần Anh Hùng | 🇫🇷)
A collection of remarkable films having their Philippine premieres. This year’s collection includes Gaspar Noé’s Irrversible, Pedro Almodóvar’s double-(short) feature, Strange Way Of Life/The Human Voice, and Lav Diaz’s new film, Essential Truths of the Lake, among other titles. The collection also includes the festival’s closing film, Andrew Chen’s The Breaking Ice.
- Daaaaaali! (dir. Quentin Dupieux | 🇫🇷)
- Essential Truths of the Lake (dir. Lav Diaz | 🇵🇭 🇵🇹 🇸🇬 🇹🇼 🇨🇭 🇬🇧)
- Foe (dir. Garth Davis | 🇺🇸 🇦🇺 🇬🇧)
- Irreversible: The Straight Cut (dir. Gaspar Noé | 🇫🇷)
- Karaoke (dir. Moshe Rosenthal | 🇮🇱)
- Only the River Flows (dir. Shujun Wei | 🇨🇳)
- Raging Grace (dir. Paris Zarcilla | 🇬🇧)
- Strange Way of Life (dir. Pedro Almodóvar | 🇪🇸 🇫🇷)
- The Breaking Ice (dir. Anthony Chen | 🇸🇬 🇨🇳)
- The Human Voice (dir. Pedro Almodóvar | 🇪🇸 🇫🇷)
Rainbow QC is QCinema’s section showcasing “a spectrum of representation and diversity.
- Mutt (dir. Vuk Lungulov-Klotz | 🇺🇸)
- Passages (dir. Ira Sachs | 🇫🇷 🇩🇪)
- Peter von Kant (dir. François Ozon | 🇫🇷 🇧🇪)
- Woman Of… (dir. Michal Englert, Malgorzata Szumowska | 🇵🇱 🇸🇪)
QC Dox is “a selection of films that seek to document some slice of reality, assembling footage to reach a greater truth.”
- Divine Factory (dir. Joseph Mangan | 🇵🇭 🇹🇼 🇺🇸)
- National Anarchist: Lino Brocka (dir. Khavn | 🇵🇭)
- Nowhere Near (dir. Miko Revereza | 🇵🇭)
New Horizons hopes to herald “new voices in a platform for debut films.”
- City of Wind (dir. Lkhagvadulam Purev-Ochir | 🇶🇦 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇵🇹 🇲🇳 🇫🇷)
- Foremost by Night (dir. Víctor Iriarte | 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷)
- Scrapper (dir. Charlotte Regan | 🇬🇧)
- Through the Night (dir. Delphine Girard | 🇧🇪 🇫🇷 🇨🇦)
- Women from Rote Island (dir. Jeremias Nyangoen | 🇮🇩)
QCinema’s section for “revisiting unforgettable classics.”
- A Clockwork Orange (dir. Stanley Kubrick | 🇺🇸 🇬🇧)
- Chungking Express (dir. Kar-Wai Wong | 🇭🇰)
- Enter the Dragon (dir. Robert Clouse | 🇺🇸 🇭🇰)
- Fallen Angels (dir. Kar-Wai Wong | 🇭🇰)
Before Midnight is QCinema’s section collecting genre films screened as “last full shows for chills and thrills.”
- Femme (dir. Sam H. Freeman, Ng Choon Ping | 🇬🇧)
- Hungry Ghost Diner (dir. We Jun Cho | 🇲🇾)
- Red Rooms (dir. Pascal Plante | 🇨🇦)
- River (dir. Junta Yamaguchi | 🇯🇵)
QCinema screenings happen in select cinemas across the metro. Check out the full schedule* after the bump.
*Schedule may change without notice. For real-time updates, visit QCinema’s Facebook Page.